Monday, February 14, 2011

Getting Intentional

Before setting off on this journey of 18 months to the altar, I knew two things had to happen.  First, I would need a solid spiritual foundation.  Second, I knew I would have to act with intention and not give in to my fears, doubts and insecurities.  I'm no religious zealot, but I do attend church services regularly and am aware there is something greater than myself.  Still, I have to admit to a great deal of relying on my own understanding in  life.  I've been successful, but was I living abundantly as I've been told God wants me to.  I don't think so.  One of the best examples of this is my desire for marriage with not the perfect person, but the person perfect for me.  I've been involved with some really great guys, but in the long run they weren't great for me.  Congrats to the young ladies who are lucky enough to snag the two I'm thinking of.  Anyway, I'm think I'm finally starting to grasp the concept of surrendering to God.  I received a devotional in my in-box with the title The Most Important Part of Your Day.  The article explains the most important part of the day is alone time with God.  Subsequent devotionals included a template for that quiet time based on the Lord's Prayer. I must tell you, these seven devotionals have transformed my prayer life and the way I am approaching not only my journey to the altar in 18 months, but life in general.

Once I was able to make a spiritual leap, it was time to take another leap.  It was time to announce my intent to the world.  Well, not the entire world but trusted friends and people I thought would "get it."  Below is the email I sent to get the party started:

Friends, this month I completed my Vision Board as a road map designed to provide visual inspiration and guidance to accompany my efforts to achieve a variety of goals and objectives and even manifest some dreams.  My vision board includes the obvious - serious efforts toward achieving financial security, a greater spiritual life, improved organization and time management, graduation and a great new job that I'm passionate about and more opportunity to travel the world.  Here is where I need your help.  I have decided I'm getting married in 18 months.  The kicker is, I don't know who he is, yet.  Still  I'm prayerful and have a vision.  While vision and prayer are great, there isn't much progress without action.  I'm interested in meeting any eligible men that you know who are great people.  I don't have a specific type, but will say this.  If you were single or looking, would you date him? Would you introduce him to your sister?  Does he have a great spirit and engaging personality?  Also, while I'm not looking for a super-model, I do want some chemistry.  I'm not dead yet and am not looking for a rocking chair companion (you get my point). 

I know this may seem a bit unconventional, but with limited time associated with work, school and all the other things I can't seem to say no to doing, I thought this might be a way to get the ball rolling.  So, if you have some suggestions or opportunities I'm open.  Let me know.  Appreciate your help!

I got a wonderful response to this email.  Not only did I receive a great deal of encouragement, I received suggestions for calling to me guardian angels and co-conspirators on this journey.  One of the most powerful suggestions was to write a letter to the guardian angels of my soul mate.  While writing this letter I poured out my heart and listed the qualities I wanted in a partner.  It was cathartic putting down on paper my authentic truth.  I was honest with myself about a lot of "stuff."  Some of you might find this a growing and freeing experience as well no matter if you're single or in a relationship.

I know you're ready for me to get to the good stuff!  Dates!  I do have something to report, but I'll save that for next Monday.  In the meantime, check out the links below for the devotionals I mentioned.  Later in the week, I'll  share with you the instructions and an example of the letter to the guardian angels of my soul mate.

The Most Important Part of Your Day
Start the Day Remembering Who God Is
Quiet Time Requires Surrender
Quiet Time Requires Trust
Quiet Time Requires Forgiveness
Quiet Time Requires Protection
Quiet Time Requires Victory

No comments:

Post a Comment